Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mount Talbert Nature Park

We were taking the boys to spend the night at Gammy's yesterday but it was a gorgeous day and I wanted to do something as a family before dropping them off. I did a quick search for hiking trails between here and my mom's and found Mount Talbert Nature Park. It is a butte right in the middle of some dense developments and close to the busy Sunnyside/I-205 area. The funny thing is, our friends John and Steph, used to live right next to this park and I never once remember seeing it during or visits to their house. Of course the parking area looks newly done or updated but still I don't remember it at all. The butte is one of the series of old volcanoes that were active in this area many years ago and that, of course, fascinated Noah. We hiked around the 4.5 miles worth of trails, enjoying the day and our time together as a family. It's a great little area to hike and worth a visit, especially if you are looking for something quick and easy to do.
***NOTE*** If you don't have a sense of humor or are easily offended, please skip the second to last picture in this post. We came across this tree on our hike and Joel and I both chuckled when we saw it.
My three boys deciding what trails to explore.

The entire area was like this. Gorgeous woodlands with the sun peaking through the tall trees.

I don't get many opportunities to photograph my eldest anymore.
Nice to be able to get a few shots of him yesterday.

Resting before the big climb to the summit.

On the top of the summit.

The next picture is the one I warned you about, last chance to look away...



HA! I knew you would look...this tree was very happy to see us.
No, we did not do that, it was like that when we saw it. (laughing) And if you ever questioned how they made baby trees, you now know.

After the hike we dropped the boys off at my moms then headed home. We got stuck in some nasty traffic due to an accident on the bridge. Luckily, we had this beauty to look at. How blessed are we to be living in an area that we have to see Mt. Hood all the time?

6 comments:

Elite Stitches said...

Great pictures. Glad to see Noah cooperated and let you take his picture. I know last time I was there, he commented that 'you people take too many pictures...' Not enough is more like it...get used to it!! Beautiful mountain!! What a gorgeous picture! The weather couldn't have been better!

The Pyryt Nest said...

The parking area and trail markers were added shortly after we moved. One of the neighbors made it his mission to develop it so more people could enjoy it. I'm sure it's much safer and better cared for now.

Anonymous said...

Looks like another great Family Day for the Johnson Clan. Your little sister Jessi was down for the weekend with Chase, he's 18mo now and quite the kid. Busy weekend, park, lake, etc.

Love your shot of Mt. Hood. Stunning to say the least.

GrandBob

Anonymous said...

These are GREAT! I have to search up some trails around here. Noah looks wonderful, even if he thinks you guys take too many pictures. My kids suffer the same frustration, but I'll never regret it:) The mountain is gorgeous! Love these sunny days!

Stacey

Janet said...

Thank you Tiff...I always wondered where baby trees come from! NOW I KNOW! LOL
You are extremely blessed to have Mt. Hood, the parks, the ocean etc.etc. so close to where you live. I'M JEALOUS!!!
& as always...ADD THIS TO OUR LIST! ; )

Elite Stitches said...

LOL...Janet, that list is getting pretty long...are you planning on visiting for a couple years?? : )