Monday, January 21, 2008

Look What We Made!

Last post today because now I'm caught up. My friend, Stephanie, taught me how to make soap last week! I decided on a milk and honey concoction and I can't wait to try it. We made the soap on Wednesday, with a recipe Steph had, called "Cleopatra's Beauty Bar." It set-up until Friday when Steph came over and we cut it up. It takes a few weeks to cure and then it's ready to use! I have a ton of ideas floating around in my head for soap recipes. Thanks Steph for the soap making class...but I fear you may have created a monster, but at least I'll be a clean one! Our friend Tamara also came over and joined us for an afternoon of girl talk on Friday. Thanks gal pals!

4 comments:

Suz... said...

mom and I want to learn! And I want to smell/use your milk and honey soap.

Johnson Family said...

Next time you are in town we'll make up a batch! I'll send a couple bars down to you when they are done curing.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so cool. Is it easy? I remember a friend let me borrow a lot of her soap making stuff but it used lye. I figured I can't do it around kids. How did you guys do it? Looks like fun!

Johnson Family said...

It is easier than I was working myself up about. You do have to take your time and be precise in all of your measurments and stuff but it was not hard. Hardest part was figuring out what I wanted to make first. Yes, we used the cold process method which uses lye. Respect the lye and no worries really. I would say, with the exception of melting down and remolding the glycerin soaps, that soap making really isn't a kid project. But you could involve them in some really cool wrapping/tag ideas when you go to give it away as a gift.