Thursday, March 20, 2008

Noun: Saponification

Saponification: A chemical reaction in which an ester is heated with an alkali (especially the alkaline hydrolysis of a fat or oil to make soap)

I have had so much fun watching the votes in my soap poll! It appears that ginger lime (much to Chris' delight) is going to be the winner unless some of you get friends and family to vote for your favorite...which they should! So how much control has soap making had over my life lately? This is what I did today while I was also trying to make dinner. As if my family needs to eat? I had some important tasks at hand, who needs chicken stir-fry getting in the way? Certainly not me! My poor friend, Stephanie, is probably wondering what kind of monster she's created...
A few limes have been zested, the zest is now resting comfortably in a food dehydrator. The smell of citrus in my house is wonderful! The dried zest (dried to remove the moisture to help prevent molding in the final product) will be added at trace, just before being poured into the molds...

I have some fresh ginger that I sliced up and tossed into a heat proof glass bowl...

Drizzled some olive oil over the top of and warmed up. The ginger infused oil will become part of the next batch.

No comments: