Sunday, November 23, 2008

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

A while ago I made these enchiladas and blogged about their deliciousness. I've made them again today using ground beef. I also made and used homemade enchilada sauce and thought I would share that recipe with you. It is so easy and quick to make and you won't believe the difference in taste and color from the store bought canned sauce. I will also double or triple the recipe, portion out the extra and put it in the freezer. Don't get me wrong, the canned stuff is still good and great to have around when in a pinch but I almost always use this recipe when something calls for enchilada sauce. If you've got a few simple ingredients and about 10-15 minutes you too can make your own. Enjoy!

  • 16 oz tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup mild chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 cup water
In saucepan, combine above ingredients, heat to boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.

11 comments:

Elite Stitches said...

This enchilada sauce is definitely the best! We've made your Potato Enchiladas several times, and this is by far the best enchilada sauce I've ever had! Love it! So if any of you are wondering, this recipe is worth the effort. And SSSSSOOO much cheaper than buying the pre-made stuff.
Grandma Ricki

Suz... said...

I was going to say what mom said...thanx for the recipe...we love it!

Janet said...

Wow...this does sound easy...but oooohhhh so good!! I'll give it a try after Thanksgiving.

Johnson Family said...

Ohhh, turkey enchiladas!!! Yum!

Janet said...

Tiff...I WAS TOTALLY THINKING TURKEY ENCHILADAS!!!

Heh...how 'bout you make 'em...& i'll stop over?!!

Johnson Family said...

Done! I'd love to make turkey enchiladas for you!

Suz... said...

what are you going to make for me? I'm certainly not letting you girls have all the fun! :)

Johnson Family said...

Sticking to the leftover theme how about we take some of the leftover garlic mashed potatoes, mix in some fresh tomatoes, green onions and peppers and turn that into enchiladas. Now I'm going to have to make a turkey dinner just to see how many different enchiladas I can come up with! For a sweeter enchilada we could take some of the left over yams/sweet potatoes mix that with some cinnamon, nutmeg and a little cream if you need to thin it. Make crepes, stuff them with the sweet potato mixture, put them into a dish then make a maple ginger sauce or a caramel flavored sauce or??? Time to go make dinner, my tummy is now grumbling!

Suz... said...

Nice, Tiff!! Love all those ideas. I like the idea of a caramel sauce on the crepes...a little butter, a little brown sugar--yummy! Now. We just need to schedule a date...when are you free? And Janet...how about you?

Janet said...

You tell me when to be there & I AM THERE!!! I'll race you Suz!!!

& WOW...TIFF, YOU ARE KILLING ME WITH THESE FOOD IDEAS! My mouth is totally watering right now!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy ... also, just wanted to pop in to wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving!